12/06/2009

Minus 22

TONIGHT, I was flipping channels when the weather broadcast caught my eye. Horrifying numbers made me do a double take, until I realized I wasn't really looking at Toronto, but at...

...Yellowknife.

Yes, it's going to be -22 degrees Celsius in the "Diamond Capital of North America". Yikes!

All of a sudden, I feel inspired to write a love letter to my hometown:

Dear Toronto,
It's only going to be -3 degrees tonight and I love you for it. Remember: No storms this winter and please send lots of snow for Christmas.
xoxo, missdelite

UPDATE (NOV.9th): It's the first storm of the season with light, blowing snow and a windchill of -7. I'm freezing my ASS off. Thank you, Toronto. Where's my fucking passport???

"Downtown" Yellowknife

DID YOU KNOW?
Yellowknife is located on the North Arm of Great Slave Lake at 62°27’N and 114°22’W, 201 air km northeast of Hay River.

Yellowknife’s name originates from the copper-wielding Chipewyan tribe which fought the Dene for many years. Organized gold mining began in the mid-1930s when Consolidated Mining and Smelting began operations at the present Miramar Con Mine site. During the gold rush days before the start of the Second World War, plywood shacks and shanties littered Latham Island, Peace River Flats and Willow Flats. The few remaining original buildings show the no-frills approach to construction. [Stats.gov.nt.ca]

Just in case you were wondering
Total Pop (2007): 19,155
Males: 9,700
Females: 9,455
Aboriginal: 4,445
Non-Aboriginal: 14,710


______________________________________________

NEW POST
Russ, Mike & Bill