7/03/2009

That's Entertainment

Young Boy Gives Katherine Heigl Orgasm

COMMENTS
Understandable. There are some movies that I just don't like. And I found Borat to be incredibly offensive, even though most of my friends thought it was hilarious. There just seems to be a lot of anger around here sometimes towards movies/books that aren't meant to be thought provoking at all.

Well, that's because it doesn't matter if it's meant to be thought provoking...and the very fact that they're so insipid, casually sexist, and gross, IS the problem. This is what they think ALL women want to watch. They make these movies over and over, and people keep watching them. And hey, we still perpetuate the stereotypes we see in them, too. Funny how that works.

And I feel the same way about those horrible spoof genre movies like The Spartans. Those movies get wide distribution while other, better, films, don't. And they're awful. Opinions and varying tastes aside, some things are, on a basic, structural level, not good stories or movies.

I think I get frustrated that every time someone has a problem with these movies we're always accused of being anti-fun or "reading too much into" things. And I think that's problematic, dismissive, and strange. Movies are pop culture, that communicates and entertains. And likewise influences and is influenced by our cultures assumptions, ideas etc. I absolutely get that people will be entertained by different things. But finding these types of movies problematic and frankly, so intellectually void as to be insulting, isn't weird.

I do like to be entertained, and have fun, and sit down to a good movie that isn't a documentary or a lecture or a dissertation on Important Issues. But WHY does that somehow mean I can't also discuss or criticize it when it goes beyond that, into some banal, creatively dead, hideous mess? I'm sorry, but I find it insulting that this is the dreck we're constantly marketed as women. And even beyond that, as a story person, I find it really sad that we value stories so little.

If I want to watch a fun movie that isn't basically like a giant fuck you to my intelligence while it also takes my money and votes with it that this is what I want to watch...I'll watch Go, or Pride & Prejudice, or When Harry Met Sally, or Chocolat, or Slither, or Adventureland, or Star Trek, or Big Trouble in Little China.

And I realize other people don't care about this stuff the way I do. Okay, fine. But I'm tired of being suggested that makes me, or others who feel the same way, somehow "unfun" or weird. It's not.