8/15/2009

Local Crafts

Two Spoons__glass, enamel, wood & metal__Mark Thompson

East Rose__glass, enamel & metal__St. James the Less Church, Eganville ON

I have been self-employed as a glass artist since 1991 during which time I have undertaken many large scale ecclesiastic, corporate and private architectural commissions; I have also produced a steady stream of studio works which have been included in several gallery group shows. I supplement my artwork with the conservation and restoration of stained glass windows.

Untitled__glass__Maciej Dyszkiewicz

With my two latest series, I am trying to come to terms with problems of modern society. The positive and negative impact of people on nature. The belief in human postive trends.

Norah's Boots__crystal__Kasia Czarnota

In my sculptures, I am working from a melding of factual memory and childhood fantasy. From jumping in puddles to hiding in grandmother’s raspberry bushes and flower gardens, I am inspired by the tiny little moments that make up a day in a child’s life and the interpretations of the new things that have been encountered from a child’s perspective.

Shift__elm wood__John Glendinning

My previous and current work has dealt with, in varying degrees and directions, surface transition and the visual relationship between adjacent components. A feature is that I reveal the structural connections as organic forms which has created a fragmented aspect to my work. I aim to create the appearance that components grow out of one another rather than appearing conveniently stuck together. These features are inspired by my experiences with my natural surroundings.

Rocking Vessel #2__glass & steel__Brad Turner

Rocking Vessel #2__detail

My body of work does not represent one single concept or goal, but rather grows in many directions, reflecting the variances of my life. As an artist and a craftsperson, I value conceptual originality, diversity, and clean design. I feel the distinctions between functional object and sculptural expression are blurred, and that merit is to be found in either endeavor. I recognize the need for well-made objects.

If I may narrow the pursuit of my work to one definable notion, it is the responsible use of material. Glass is a medium that constantly asserts its being. It is a very unique material that should be used and taken advantage of as such. My work seeks to elevate its characteristics, whether it is the rare combination of strength and fragility, the unmistakable relationship with light and optics, or its storied roots in vessel-making and functional design.


Stylobate series - Reticello__David Thai

Glass is the medium that best reflects my innermost feelings. When approaching glass in its fluid state, I am deeply moved by the metamorphosis from a molten state to the solidified shape of my design.

One unique feature of my work is the use of silver foil on the surface of the blown glass; this silver foil is specially ordered from Japan.


Play, Pause Record interlocking ring__silver resin__Danielle Crampsie

Play, Pause, Record ring (apart)

Danielle Crampsie uses jewellery as a social indicator to communicate ideas relevant to today’s society. Her pieces explore the symbols and values of contemporary culture. Using jewellery as a means of communication she gives the wearer a voice and thus a starting point to establish a relationship with the viewer. Her pieces act as an interface between us and technology, they draw on traditions of the past to record the history of today.

Budding necklace__nylon & glass__Lily Yung

In my jewellery, I use non-precious and readily available materials and through design and fabrication techniques transform them into provocative, precious and beautiful body ornaments. My design elements are drawn from nature but the final shapes are usually more abstract or geometric in form and shape. My work tend towards exaggerated size for jewellery as the materials used are often lightweight.

Vanishing Glacier__glass__Jerre Davidson

The Ontario landscape pulls at my senses and evokes a multitude of different emotions. Every relationship has a specific tempo. It could be slow and sensuous like the waves lapping the shore or harsh and staccato like an up thrusting rock formation. With my work I seek to share my sense of place in the natural environment and the contradictory properties of glass are what make it such a wonderful medium.

Heaven & Earth__glass__David James

Nebula__crystal

David James creates luminous sculptures cast in glass and bold exterior works carved in stone that often incorporate stainless steel. His works juxtapose rough textures with smooth sensuous surfaces. In glass, he exploits the transparent interior, a wonderful fourth dimension unique to the material, to reveal vibrant interiors with diaphanous veils.

Diptych - Twigs__wood & straw__Jessica Beauchemin

I strive to explore fine woodworking, to develop a personal approach that will enhance the riches and nuances of the matter. I shape solid woods and veneers in symbiosis with other natural materials such as mother-of-pearls, stones, metals and fibres. Hair ornaments are the medium through which I explore.

Breaking Through__sandblasted glass__Pattie Walker

Making art is about making contact. I strive to create art pieces and environments that will animate and energize space. And connect viewers to the radiant force of light.

Sketch (leaves)__glass__Cali Balles

Wine stopper__glass & brass

I am fascinated by form. I find the repeating patterns of both urban and living forms to be equally captivating and am compelled to explore the interaction between them. I work almost exclusively in clear glass so that the focus on form and process predominates.

Ontario Crafts Council - portfolio
The Guild Shop
Supporting Canadian craftspeople since 1932.
118 Cumberland St., Toronto