4/20/2010

Be Honest

[via]

386,170 Unhelpful Things
COMMENT
missdelite: I find it interesting that most of you feel I'm "judging" an overweight person if I see them indulging in an unhealthy food. That's not the case because I don't know that person and have no basis for judging them as people, but can the action itself be judged? Yes, I believe it can.

If you hear a heroin addict complain one moment about how they're tired of being addicted, and then see them shoot up the next, aren't you allowed to judge their action as being unhealthy and contradictory to their stated intentions? At what point are you allowed to say "Look, I know it's hard but you're hurting yourself and I can't be a part of it anymore"?

Also, in terms of what's causing people to be overweight in unprecedented numbers, I've heard the following reasons: slow metabolism, muscle weighs more than fat, heights increasing over the decades, glandular problems and genetic predisposition.

Ok, fine. For some people, but what about the rest? Let's get down to brass tacks and talk about food and our complicated relationship to it. Personally, I live downtown above a mall where every junk food imaginable is available within walking distance. If I didn't have a gluten allergy, I'd be scarfing Quiznos, Chinese take out and BBQ potato chips at every possible moment. It wouldn't take long for me to pack on the pounds and I'd find it near impossible to stop because it tastes so damn good. When will I hear an overweight person admit that their physical state is about how they relate to food and the fact that they're dealing with an addiction that Jenny Craig can't solve? This forum is anonymous and more likely to empathize with personal weakness than anywhere else. There's a real potential for a support group atmosphere, but not if people aren't honest with themselves and each other.

I have to say, I'm impressed when I see an overweight person on a bike or jogging on our streets, cause I know it takes a lot of courage to be out there in front of everyone doing their thing. To be honest, I'd rather join the "Health Acceptance" fan club because it makes more sense to me. I've a predispositon to do so and stand by my choice. Please don't judge me for it.
__________________________________________________