3/28/2009

Urban Prankster

German performance artist Johan Lorbeer appeared to be floating in mid-air in a Madrid train station, to the delight of commuters. Apparently his leaning arm is actually fake and is disguising a support structure connected to the wall. He has some photos of similar projects he did in galleries on his site.

Urban Camouflage - Stockholm

Urban Prankster
Urban Prankster covers pranks, hacks, participatory art, flash mobs, and other creative endeavors that take place in public places in cities across the world. It is edited by Charlie Todd.

I will list some things about me (Charlie Todd). I went to high school at Hammond School in Columbia, SC. I went to college at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC). I have lived in New York City since the summer of 2001. I'm a comedian. I teach and perform long-form improv comedy at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre. When I'm not doing that, I'm pulling off huge pranks on the streets of New York. I document them on my website, Improv Everywhere.

Improv Everywhere causes scenes of chaos and joy in public places. Created in August of 2001 by Charlie Todd, Improv Everywhere has executed over 80 missions involving thousands of undercover agents. The group is based in New York City.

The No Pants! Subway Ride
The No Pants! Subway Ride is an annual event staged by Improv Everywhere every January in New York City.
The seventh annual No Pants ride had 900 participants in New York, and another 1,000 or so in 9 additional cities around the world. In New York we had to use three separate train lines to accommodate the crowd. For the first time there were at least as many women as men. Rides took place in Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Portland, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, Washington DC, and even Adelaide, Australia.

****************************************
NEW POST
Ten Trillion and Counting